I’m spending a quick 24 hours on Mt. Desert Island. After chatting with a few local sources and a visual scan, I’ve already found quite a few changes on the island and nearby. A few, I’ve mentioned previously. Here’s my latest list (which likely will grow as I get around a bit more):
Acadia National Park
• FREE entrance to the park during the third weekend of June, July, and August.
• New concessionaire for the carriage rides in the park
• Cadillac Mountain Road resurfaced (no more potholes!)
• Jordan Pond House, new motorcoach entrance which should help traffic flow for everyone
Bar Harbor and environs
• Eden restaurant, not operating this summer but is planning to reopen in a new location in 2010.
• Side Street Cafe, new restaurant expected to open within a few weeks on Rodick Street.
• Mache restaurant, new owners
• Atlantic Brewing Co. has purchased Bar Harbor Brewing Co.
• Mainely Meat Bar-B-Q is adding a second location on Route 3.
• The Lobster Claw (source of the island’s best lobster roll, according to my foodie friend E) has yet to resurface in a new location.
• Port in a Storm bookstore closed
• White Birches Campground closed
• Tan Turtle restaurant burned, plans call for it to be rebuilt
• New traffic pattern for Route 3. The section from the Route 1 intersection to the intersection with Lowe’s and Home Depot is now one way. The return is a bit tricky and requires merging left if you want to head south on Route 1.
• Calypso restaurant is no more.