Since I’m in a baking frenzy, thought I’d share the recipe for this favorite:
Maine Maple-Walnut Pie
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup light cream
1/4 cup Maine maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup walnuts, broken into pieces
1 tsp vanilla
9 inch unbaked piecrust
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• In a saucepan, cream the granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter.
• Add the eggs and beat well.
• Add the cream, maple syrup and salt.
• Cook over low heat for five minutes, stirring constantly.
• Remove from the heat, and stir in the walnuts and vanilla.
• Pour into the pie crust, then bake for one hour.
Serve warm, topped with real whipped cream or ice cream (preferably Maine made, such as Round Top or Gifford’s).