Vaughn Woods is one of Maine’s lesser known state parks, but this 250-acre woodland in South Berwick is a gem. This Saturday, March 13, it’s home to the Take It Outside Family Fun Day. From 10 a.m.-3 p.m., take advantage of organized activities, demonstrations, and a cook-out lunch, all for $1.50 ages 12-64; everyone else is free. This is a lovely park, with hiking trails edging the Salmon River. You might sight bald eagle, wild turkey, or deer.
• maple sugaring demonstration
• snowshoeing, if there is snow
• fly-fishing demonstration
• outdoor-survival demonstration
• wildlife demonstration presented by the Center for Wildlife at Cape Neddick, which plans to bring turtles, a raptor and other creatures for a special program starting at 1 p.m.
• a bonfire and a cook-out lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs; and afterwards, s’mores and quesadillas
• a “storybook walk” for youngsters conducted by Healthy Maine Partnerships
• informational display about the Hamilton House, a National Historic Landmark adjoining the park
Grab the kids and plan to spend a few hours hiking and taking part in the fun.