The annual Yarmouth Clam Festival is more than a seafood celebration, it’s a full-blown festival, with entertainment, crafts, a parade, and more. Events include bike races, foot races, and canoe and kayak races, as well as concerts, children’s activities, a diaper derby, and, of course, plenty of clams and other Maine seafood.
• The Clam Festival Parade, Friday, July 15, 6 p.m., on Main Street. The theme of the 2011 parade is Great American Inventions.
• Maine State Clam Shucking Contest, Sat., July 16, 11 a.m. (registration begins at 10 a.m.) at the Merrill Memorial Library Lawn Tent.
• Firefighters’ Muster Competition, Sat., July 16, 1 p.m., on the Memorial Green on Main Street. Watch firefighting teams compete in events such as a bucket brigade, firefighter suit-up, and an old-fashioned hose-pull contest.
• Carbon Leaf, Friday, July 15, 8:15 p.m. in the NYA Tent: Celtic/bluegrass rock.
• Gypsy Tailwind, Sat., July 16, 7:30 p.m. in the NYA Tent: folk/rock/alternative
• Fireworks, Sat., July 16, 9: 15 p.m.